Thursday, January 26, 2017

Gettin' Comfy

Moving out.. and moving out of your comfort zone isn't always a walk in the park. Not for everyone at least. I'm definitely more of a planner than the spontaneous type, that I can't deny. So moving for me wasn't too terrible of a nightmare. I also didn't move far from home, but hey, I'm on my own, and that's something I'm proud of.

Anyway, a few people have asked me about how I got settled so quickly and how both my cat and I adjusted to a new place. So I figured I'd share with you guys my own personal tips and tricks.

1. Do your research

Whether you are researching where you want to live, the area, the commodities you want, or even reading articles like "advice on moving out", I highly recommend this. The more you know, the better.

2. Plan ahead

This was the best thing I could have done for myself. I had known for a long time I had intentions of leaving the house when I graduated college. So for many, many months before I moved out, I started buying things I knew I would need and want. I did one room at a time - I started with my bathroom and bought what I needed. Moved on to kitchen basics.. etc. That prevented me from having to buy all my necessities at once. And it made it much more homier by the time I moved in! Of course people's taste changes over time, so my advice for this is if you see it and love it, buy it. 

3. Mark your territory (or your pets)

I knew my cat would have trouble adjusting so I wanted to make the process as easy for her as possible. Once I picked out and bought my rug, instead of putting it away with the rest of my "apartment stuff", I laid it out for her in our basement. This way, she could get her own smell on it so when we moved, there was something familiar for her there - among other things. But of course, I made sure to give her plenty of attention and love. 

4. De-clutter

 I honestly think this was one of my favorite parts of moving out. I'm a neat freak and I clean to relax but that's besides the point. Moving out means you get to bring what you love and want the most. Take the time to organize so you can start with an (almost) clean slate. 

5. Plan your budget and save

Money. The root of all evil. This one is pretty self-explanatory, but so very important! Prior to moving, save as much as you can. Give yourself a monthly budget for when you do move out, and don't stress yourself out. 



To say the least, Pumpkin and I are pretty happy. I don't have everything together yet, but I keep reminding myself not to rush it all. I'm a lot more settled than I imagined myself to be. I hope this little bit helps.. and feel free to reach out with any other questions or anything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment